Friday, May 29, 2009

I am alone?

As a single mom I feel so alone. I know there are a lot of single mom’s out there but I don’t feel like any are in a similar situation.

It is really hard for me and I know there are a ton of single mom’s out there who make it all the time but how? What am I doing wrong? Is it just that I don’t have the same benefits as other single mom’s? Yesterday I was told by a friend that I have no excuse not to go to college. He said that both of his sister’s did it as single moms. How? He wasn’t able to answer that. I would love to go back to school. I always knew what I wanted to be when I grew up and what I was going to do to get there but having a kid at 18 sure changed my plans. I work full time and I have to work full time unless I find some awesome high paying job that will pay my bills part time. (Doubtful) I can hardly make ends meat as it is. Then there is the question, who will watch India when I am at school? I don’t have family and I haven’t lived out here that long so I don’t really know a lot of people that would watch India for me unless I pay them, but then my money issue comes up again. But how can I make more money with out going to school? Especially in the area I live in, if you don’t have a bachelor’s degree they won’t even look at your resume. So no time, no money and no babysitter. Are there any solutions?

People tell me all the time that there are a bunch of special programs to help single moms but where the hell are they? The only thing I ever received was WIC. That helped out for about 10 months with the cost of formula and some cereal and peanut butter. I can’t get TANF (temporary assistance for needy families) because I make too much. I don’t make a lot at all…yes its over minimum wage but I can hardly live off of it with daycare costs and bills. Then they have those Head Start programs for kids so that they can go to daycare or kindergarten for free. The maximum income was like $13,000 a year! Yes I make over that! That is $6.25 an hour if you work full time. In Ca I applied to get assistance to help pay for childcare and I was placed on a waitlist. I was on that waitlist for 2 years until I moved out to Virginia. They say that the program takes the neediest families first. So they push you back to help out a family who makes less money and has more kids! That is bull shit! I learned from my, I don’t want to say mistake, but really it wasn’t planned so for now and for lack of a better word, I will go with mistake. I learned from it and worked hard to make some money to support her and myself but I still need that little bit of assistance to get by…but NO!

The illegal immigrants who come to America and pop out these kids just so they have citizenship get all the money, while they stay at home and their husbands are on street corners at 7-11 or Home Depot looking for jobs. So in essence, I will get more help if I just stopped trying to make money myself. What kind of crap is that??? C’mon Obama, how are you going to fix this?! I am all about helping people but not when they are not helping themselves. I don’t give bums on the corner money at all…sorry I feel no sympathy! Anyone can get a job! Fast food restaurants are always hiring and I know I kind of dissed it earlier, but even standing outside 7-11 or Home Depot…it’s something! It is the people that struggle and are actually making an honest effort to better themselves and their lives that need the most help and will prove the most productive to society. Most of the time these people just need a little assistance to get them to where they want to be and they can take over after that. “Bums” on the other hand get money, waste it and are back in the same situation as before. We are wasting hard working people’s tax money on “bums” when we could be helping out people who need it and would appreciate it and eventually give back to the community. It really sickens me!

I really want to start my own non profit organization for this very reason to help out people in my similar situations. To help people that are not trying to cheat the system but are truly hardworking but need just a little assistance to get them by. If anyone has any information on how I would go about that, it would be helpful. I always thought about doing that if I ever happened to win the lottery (I dream big!)

Anyway…if any single moms read my blog and have any information or input or suggestions on how they have gotten by, I would love to hear them. Until next time… TAKE CARE!

0 comments: