Thursday, August 30, 2007

Army Wife?!?!


So here's the deal.

Patrick's been wanting to join the military. He has talked about it all through are relationship but is now very adamant about it. He first looked at joining the Marines and we went down to talk to a recruiter but then when he told the recruiter that he needed time to think about it and the guy got mad at him and even hung up on him. That and his brother's experience with the Marines, sort of turned him off to that option. We went to his parents with his idea and they were a bit surprised but can see why he would want to and recommended the Air Force. He did some research and liked what he saw and tried to get hold of a recruiter. There he found his problem... the guy is never in the office and never answers his phone. They are down sizing and not interested in helping anyone right now.

He then went to the army. They had the job he wanted (cryptologist linguist) and are offering a $20k sign on bonus ...if he leaves for boot camp by the end of September!!! We will also have to get married before he signs up so that India and I get his benefits while he is away.

I'M SCARRED!!!! That means that so many things will happen in just ONE month. If he does decide on joining, like I said we will have to be married. We plan on doing something small here at a court just to get it legalized and then I can plan something bigger when he is gone. I am kinda excited about that part. I love him and can't wait to marry him. He would go to MEPS (where people sign up to become soldiers), take the ASVAB and then the DLAP (test to determine if he is capable to learn another language) and if he does well on that he can get his job as a cryptologist linguist. He would leave at the latest September 29th and leave for 9 weeks to boot camp. His parents, India and I would be able to go to his graduation ceremony and then he would be sent to California, Monterey to go to a language institute there when he will begin training on learning another language. One I got things here squared away they would send India and I to Monterey to live with Patrick.

I am excited about the Monterey part. I cant wait to be back in CALI even if its in Monterey its still only hours in a car rather than on a plane. He would be at the school for 2 years, not sure if he would be deployed during that time but I guess I will have to expect it. I don't know how I will manage with out him but I think it might be beneficial for me so I can gain some Independence, since I rely alot on Patrick.

Even though all of this really scares me right now, I think its going to end well. Patrick will be able to move on from this with alot more than he came in with. He will have security clearance for jobs he would want in the government and a college degree. (Automatically gets an AA with the completion of the language school). I said to him that I support anything he does and in four years from now we don't know where we will be whether good or bad but if he does join we know he will at the least have an AA and security clearance and many more experiences that he would have never been able to get with out joining.

0 comments: